Skip Navigation
Official website of the United States Government We can do this. Find COVID-19 vaccines near you. Visit U.S. Department of the Treasury
Bureau of the Fiscal Service Home
Treasury Offset Program

Federal Withholdings and Offsets

Tax Refund Offset

If an individual owes money to the federal government because of a delinquent debt, the Treasury Department can offset that individual's federal payment or withhold the entire amount to satisfy the debt. The debtor is notified in advance of any offset action to be taken. Individuals may call the TOP Interactive Voice Response (IVR) at 800-304-3107 to determine the contact information for the agency or state they owe.

Child-Support Enforcement

Last modified 01/31/23