Skip Navigation
Official website of the United States Government U.S. Department of the Treasury
Bureau of the Fiscal Service Home
Unpaid Foreign Claims

Unpaid Foreign Claims

Foreign claim awards are certified to the Department of the Treasury by the Foreign Claims Settlement Commission (FCSC), an independent quasi-judicial federal agency, which is administratively a component of the U.S. Department of Justice.

The FCSC determines the validity and valuation of claims made by U.S. nationals for property losses that occurred in foreign countries. Losses can result from nationalization of property by foreign governments, or property damage or loss as a result of military operations, or injury to civilian or military personnel. Compensation for such losses is authorized by Congress or follows government-to-government settlement agreements.

The Department of the Treasury ensures that claimants receive the payment amount that is authorized in the public law that governs each Foreign Claims Program.

Once payment has been authorized, a Payment Voucher will be mailed to the claimant. Payment will be issued after receipt of a signed Payment Voucher. Refer to 31 CFR Part 250, for additional information on the payment process.

In the case a deceased award holder, 31 CFR 250.4 identifies the documentation that Fiscal Service needs to establish the proper payee and authorize payment. Standard Form 1055 and Certification Form may also be required.


Contact Unpaid Foreign Claims

866-277-1046 Foreign Claims

Last modified 08/12/19