The DirectExpress® Debit MasterCard® provides an option for people getting federal benefits who do not have a bank account, and are looking for a no- or low-cost alternative to get the funds without using check cashing facilities or carrying cash. To sign up for the DirectExpress® Debit MasterCard®, call the enrollment center toll free at 800-333-1795 or visit www.USDirectExpress.com.
If you have questions about your card, do not contact the Treasury Department. We do not keep or have access to information about your card.
For questions about getting a DirectExpress® card or anything about a DirectExpress® card you got
after March 2008
Contact DirectExpress Customer Service at
What is the DirectExpress® card?
The DirectExpress® card is a prepaid debit card available to you if you are a Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) check recipient required by law to receive your benefit payments electronically.
The debit card offers the convenience and security of using electronic transactions to immediately access and spend your funds rather than using cash for purchases or waiting for your monthly benefit check to arrive.
You do not need to have a bank account to sign up for the card. There is no credit check or minimum balance requirement.
Each month, your money will be immediately available to you when it is automatically deposited to your DirectExpress card account on your payment date.
The card can be used to make purchases, get cash from any bank or credit union that displays the MasterCard logo or withdraw cash from Automated Teller Machines (ATM).
You can also use the debit card to pay your bills online or over the phone and buy money orders at the U.S. Post Office.
See our informational brochureSign up for the DirectExpress® card
TTY (for hard of hearing): 1-866-569-0447
Why should I get the DirectExpress® card?
- No need to have a bank account.
- No need to carry cash.
- No need to use a check-cashing store to get cash.
- No waiting for a check to come in the mail.
- No worries that your check will get lost or stolen.
- You get your money on time, every month.
How safe is the card?
- Your money is insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) up to the maximum amount allowed by law.
- You get a Personal Identification Number (PIN) that you use at ATMs, online, and at retail locations to make purchases.
- If your card is lost or stolen, it will be replaced.
How much does it cost?
- No cost to sign up.
- No monthly fees or overdraft fees.
- No fee to use the card wherever MasterCard® is accepted.
- No fee to get extra cash back with purchases.
- No fee to get cash from a bank or credit union teller.
- One free ATM cash withdrawal for each deposit posted to your card account each month.*
*Note: If you use an ATM that is not part of the DirectExpress® network, the bank or credit union that owns that ATM may charge a fee.
Optional services have fees. See which services are optional.
What else do I get with the DirectExpress® card?
If you want any of the following services, you also get these for free:
- Find out your card balance (how much money you have left).
- Get a message when money is deposited to your card.
- Get a message when your balance falls below a certain amount.
- Get help whenever you need it by phone or online.
To sign up, to get information, to ask questions, or for any help about the DirectExpress® card, contact us at www.USDirectExpress.com or call
TTY (for hard of hearing): 1-866-569-0447
If you have a general comment about the DirectExpress® card program, you may write to us at Direct.Express@fiscal.treasury.gov. NOTE: Please do not use this e-mail address for any questions about your specific card. The Department of the Treasury has no personal information about your card.
DirectExpress® and the DirectExpress® logo are registered marks of the U.S. Department of the Treasury, Bureau of the Fiscal Service.
The Comerica Bank issues the DirectExpress® Debit MasterCard® under a license from MasterCard International Incorporated. MasterCard® and the MasterCard® Brand Mark are registered trademarks of MasterCard International Incorporated.
Other ways to get your government benefits:
- Electronic Transfer Account (ETA℠)
(to get a low-cost bank account)
(to sign up for direct deposit into an existing bank or credit union account)
General information about getting money without getting a check:
Other government agencies you might need: