photo of Treasury buildingLincoln Memorial

Unpaid Foreign Claims

The Foreign Claims Awards are certified to the Department of the Treasury for payment by the Foreign Claims Settlement Commission (FCSC), an independent quasi-judicial federal agency, which is administratively a component of the U.S. Department of Justice.

The FCSC determines the validity and valuation of claims of U.S. nationals for loss of property in foreign countries, as authorized by Congress or following government-to-government settlement agreements.

These losses can occur as either a result of nationalization of property by foreign governments or from damage to or loss of property as a result of military operations, or injury to both civilian and military personnel.

The Department of the Treasury's role is to ensure that the FCSC claimants receive the proper payment amount as authorized in the public law that governs each Foreign Claims Program.

If you believe you may be entitled to an award arising out of a claims program no longer being adjudicated (such as the German claims program), please refer to 31 CFR Part 250, which specifies the payment process.

In the case of a deceased awardholder, 31 CFR 250.4 outlines the basic materials that the Fiscal Service will need to establish the proper payee and authorize a payment. A completed Standard Form 1055 and Certification Form may also be required.

Once payment has been authorized, a Payment Voucher will be mailed to the applicant showing the amount outstanding. Upon receipt of a signed Payment Voucher, payment will be issued.


Mail to: Foreign Claims
Judgment Fund Section
Bureau of the Fiscal Service
U.S. Department of Treasury
3700 East West Highway
Room 6E15
Hyattsville, Maryland 20782
Phone: 202-874-6664
Toll Free: 866-277-1046

Open Gov   My Money.gov   USA.gov
Linked In   Twitter   Facebook   You Tube   RSS Feed