Cherry blossoms

Check Claims

Missing Federal Check Payments

A check payment issued to me by the Treasury Department is either lost or may have been stolen. What must I do to have it reissued?

Contact the paying agency (e.g., Social Security Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs) and report the circumstances. You will be sent information on the check claims process. Once you have returned the forms for processing, you can call (855) 868-0151 to ask about the status of your claim.

How do I get an expired check reissued?

If you have an expired Treasury check, you must contact the federal agency (SSA, OPM, VA, etc.) which authorized issuance of the check payment.

I am interested in receiving my federal payment electronically (direct deposit) instead of a check payment. What must I do? ?

If you have a bank account and are interested in receiving your payment by direct deposit, check our information on Electronic Funds Transfer.

I do not have a bank account, but I would like to find out about opening one so that I can receive my payment by direct deposit. What must I do?

If you do not have a bank account but would like to open one so that your payment can be received by direct deposit, check our information on Electronic Transfer Account.

Related Resources

Open Gov   My Money.gov   USA.gov
Linked In   Twitter   Facebook   You Tube   RSS Feed