Federal Disbursement Services (FDS)
(Formerly National Payment Center of Excellence (NPCE))
The Bureau of the Fiscal Service has centers in Kansas City and in Philadelphia. The Kansas City Financial Center, now the Federal Disbursement Services (FDS), pays out money, helps collect money, handles foreign transactions, and supports Fiscal Service programs.
The Federal Disbursement Services provides payment services for more than 300 federal agencies. Your federal income tax refunds; Social Security benefits; Supplemental Security income; Railroad Retirement Board benefits; veteran's pay, pension, and education benefits all come from the National Payment Center of Excellence. Payments to federal workers, vendors, and grantees also come from Kansas City.
In fiscal year 2022, the Federal Disbursement Services issued more than 1.4 billion payments, 96% percent by electronic funds transfer and the rest by check.
The Federal Disbursement Services also helps the Treasury Offset Program (TOP) collect delinquent debts that taxpayers owe to the federal government or to a state government.
The Federal Disbursement Services matches the eligible payments against the TOP database for offset.
Handling foreign transactions
At the Federal Disbursement Services, we also process all payments in foreign currency for federal agencies. In fiscal year 2022, we processed more than $14.9 billion in foreign currency payments through the International Treasury Services system (ITS.gov).
Supporting Fiscal Service programs
In addition to paying out and collecting money, we support the Bureau of the Fiscal Service and its customers by providing
- customer support for the Automated Standard Application for Payments System (ASAP)
- project management for the Payment Application Manager (PAM) effort to modernize and consolidate more than 30 payment applications into one streamlined system
- training and education on financial management and accounting programs
- develop and test financial management products and services
- serve as financial advisors to federal, state, and local governments; the financial community; and the Federal Reserve System to make sure that they are using programs from the Bureau of the Fiscal Service effectively and efficiently
Subscribe to email news and updatesJoin the mailing list
Selecting this button generates an e-mail message with everything filled in — just send the message. You will receive a confirmation message from the list in 15 minutes – reply to the message. If this doesn’t work, use our alternate method of signing up for mailing lists.
Contact the Federal Disbursement Services in Kansas City
For questions about federal paymentsQuestions about payments
Federal Disbursement Services
P.O. Box 12599-0599
Kansas City, MO 64116-0599
Federal employees: For help with PAM, PIR, or SPS1-816-414-2340