DATA Act Information Model Schema (DAIMS)
For DAIMS users: This is the current version and includes the version 2.2.1 update of the Validation Rules document. The submission dates are published on the Resources Page. This release improves the data model in several important respects:
- integrates the finalized requirements of OMB M-22-02
- addresses two GAO audit findings
- requires that several elements that are currently optional be required in the future, including two elements that will ensure that award-level outlays are not overstated on USAspending.gov
- adds four validation rules and removes two now-redundant validation rules.
- Release Notes v2.2 – summary of changes for this version
- Release Notes v2.2.1 – summary of changes for this version
- DAIMS v2.2.1 Document ZIP – zip file with DAIMS documents
On this page
DAIMS Technical Architecture
The DATA Act Information Model Schema (DAIMS) is the authoritative source for the terms, definitions, formats, and structures for hundreds of distinct data elements that tell the story of how federal dollars are spent.
DAIMS gives federal agencies guidance about what data to report to Treasury, where to get that data, and how to submit it.
To learn more:
- DAIMS Overview – What DAIMS is, its scope, value, and approach
- DAIMS Architecture – The DAIMS conceptual model including a visual showing how domains, components, elements, and metadata go together in DAIMS
- DAIMS Information Flow – A technical flowchart showing how data comes into, flows through, and is reported out, including how often that happens and where the data come from.
DAIMS Documents for Federal Agency Staff
Practices and Procedures
- How to submit, validate, and understand submitting to the DATA Act Broker
Reporting Submission Specification (RSS)
- An Excel spreadsheet that lists data elements, provides metadata, and gives federal agency staff instructions on how to submit content in the appropriate file format.
Interface Definition Document (IDD)
- An Excel spreadsheet that lists data elements, supporting metadata and explains what financial assistance data elements are pulled from government-wide procurement, sub-award systems, and from the DATA Act Broker (by way of FABS).
- An Excel spreadsheet that documents the business rules the DATA Act Broker uses for field and cross-file validations.
Examples of Submission Files - .csv files showing the format of agency submission files
- FABS: Financial Assistance data
- File A: Appropriation Account data
- File B: Object Class and Program Activity data
- File C: Award Financial data
DAIMS Documents for Data Analysts
These PDF files show the data model relationships for RSS and IDD files.
DAIMS Documents for users of USAspending.gov
Online Data Dictionary
- A link to the USAspending.gov online data dictionary with a full list of data elements with a definition for each element and some associated metadata.
Consumption-Focused Metadata (CFM)
- An Excel file with a list of data elements, definitions, and supporting metadata showing how submission and outlay data is compiled.
Consumption Focused File Diagram
- A PDF file diagram showing the data model for data sources of the USAspending.gov website.
History of DAIMS releases since 2016
Each of these zip files contains key DAIMS documents (RSS, IDD, sample files, file diagrams, flow diagram, validation rules, architecture document, and architecture overview)
Table may scroll on smaller screens
|2.2.1||Sep 26, 2022||Oct 1, 2022||DAIMS v2.2.1 zip|
|2.2||June 3, 2022||Oct 1, 2022 (FABS)
Nov 16, 2022 (DABS)
|DAIMS v2.2 zip|
|2.1.2||April 4, 2022||April 2022||DAIMS v2.1.2 zip|
|2.1.1||Nov 22, 2021||Various 2021 and 2022||DAIMS v2.1.1 zip|
|2.1||June 4, 2021||Various 2021 and 2022||DAIMS v2.1 zip|
|2.0.2||Dec 14, 2020||Dec 17, 2020||DAIMS v2.0.2 zip|
|2.0.1||Jul 13, 2020||Jul 13, 2020||DAIMS v2.0.1 zip|
|2.0||May 6, 2020||Jul 13, 2020||DAIMS v2.0 zip|
|1.4||Sep 27, 2019||May 18, 2020||DAIMS v1.4 zip|
|1.3.1||Feb 8, 2019||Various 2019||DAIMS v1.3.1 zip|
|1.3||Jun 29, 2018||Various 2019||DAIMS v1.3 zip|
|1.2||Dec 22, 2017||May 18, 2018||DAIMS v1.2 zip|
|1.1||Jun 30, 2017||Sep 27, 2017||DAIMS v1.1 zip|
|1.0||Apr 29, 2016||Apr 1, 2017||DAIMS v1.0 zip|