The Bureau of the Fiscal Service (Fiscal Service) was established on October 7, 2012, with the consolidation of two Treasury Department bureaus: the Bureau of the Public Debt (BPD) and the Financial Management Service (FMS).
BPD financed government operations, accounted for the resulting public debt, and provided financial and administrative services to federal agencies. FMS supplied central payments and collections and deposit services for the federal government and prepared the financial statements of the federal government.
By combining these responsibilities, the Bureau of the Fiscal Service transforms the way the federal government manages its financial services. The Fiscal Service delivers inter-agency administrative services with more efficiency, transparency, and accountability than ever before.
At the Fiscal Service, we:
- Operate the federal government’s collections and deposit systems, overseeing a daily cash flow of over $89 billion.
- Borrow the money needed to operate the federal government through the sale of Treasury bills, bonds and notes and account for the resulting debt.
- Provide central payment services to federal program agencies.
- Provide governmentwide accounting and reporting services, and manage the collection of delinquent debt owed to the government.
- Offer TreasuryDirect, allowing investors to buy Treasury securities online.
- Provide administrative, financial management, and information technology (IT) services to a wide range of federal government clients through our shared services provider, the Administrative Resource Center (ARC).
This legacy bureau provided central payment services to federal agencies, operated the collections and deposit systems, provided government-wide accounting and reporting services, and managed the collection of delinquent debt owed to the government.
TreasuryDirect is the first and only financial services website that lets you buy and redeem Treasury securities, including U.S. Savings Bonds, directly from the U.S. Department of the Treasury in paperless electronic form.
The Administrative Resource Center works with federal agencies to improve the agency's success by delivering responsive, customer-focused, cost-effective administrative support.
The Do Not Pay Business Center was developed to support federal agencies in their efforts to reduce the number of improper payments.
A free service offered by the Department of the Treasury to help business and individual taxpayers conveniently pay all their federal taxes electronically.